Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Origins of Speaking in Code

“ If I had my possessions [khrēmata], Simonides, I would not be distressed as I am now at being together with the noble [agathoi]. But now they [i.e., my possessions] have passed me by, even though I was aware, and I am speechless because of my lack of possessions, though I would be better aware than many, [aware] that we are now being carried along, with white sails lowered, beyond the seas of Melos, through the dark night, and they refuse to bail, and the sea washes over both sides of the ship.

It is a difficult thing for anyone to be saved, such things they are doing. They have deposed the pilot [kubernētēs], the noble [esthlos] one, who was standing guard with expertise. They seize possessions [khrēmata] by force [biē], and order [kosmos] has been destroyed. There is no longer an equitable division [of possessions], in the common interest, but the carriers of merchandise rule, and the base [kakoi] are on top of the noble [agathoi]. I am afraid that perhaps a wave will swallow the ship. Let these things be allusive utterances [= ainigmata] hidden by me for the noble [agathoi]. One could be aware of even [future] misfortune, if one is skilled [sophos].
- Theognis of Megara (667–682)

No comments:

Post a Comment